Glendale Union High School District
Evidence of Excellence 2015-2016
Academic Achievement: All students in our comprehensive high schools are held to the same high standards. 81% of GUHSD graduates enroll in post-secondary education options.
College Entrance Exams: GUHSD students consistently score above state and national averages in standardized testing for college entrance (ACT, SAT).
Low Dropout Rate: GUHSD’s dropout rate of 1.2% is among the lowest in the state and nation. The state drop-out rate is 3.5%.
Academic Emphasis: High academic achievement is a top priority.
- Students have the opportunity to earn the Advanced Placement International Diploma (APID), which is a globally recognized award for students interested in pursuing university study outside of their native country.
- More than 3,328 Advanced Placement (AP) tests were taken for college credit in 2015 by GUHSD students.
Environment for Learning: Facilities upgrades at all campuses, new classroom rebuilds at Greenway and Thunderbird high schools and further technological advancements were completed with the passage of an $80 million bond authorization approved by voters in 2011.
Parent and Community Involvement: Community input is valued through school councils and citizens committees, which are comprised of parents, students, community members, staff and administration. GUHSD annual parent satisfaction rate, which is measured through a third-party research firm, is 94%.
National and State Recognition:
- National Advanced Placement District of the Year, 2013
- Top “A” Rated District AZ Dept. of Education, 2013, 2014
- Nine “A” Rated Schools AZ Dept. of Education, 2014
- America’s Best High Schools U.S. News & World Report, 2008-2015
- Beat the Odds Gold Schools, 2014
- A+ School Washington High School, 2014
Additional Achievements and Accolades:
- Arizona Teacher of the Year, Arizona Education Foundation, 1986, 2011
- WESTMARC Best of the WEST award, 1995, 1997, 2004
- RJR Nabisco Next Century Schools award, 1992-1995, 2004,
- Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting, 1993-2015
- ASPRA Superintendent of the Year, 2003
- Arizona Career and Technical Education Administrator of the Year, 2004
- Bernard Distinguished Service Awarded to Superintendent, 2004
- Arizona Assistant Principal of the Year, 2005
- Arizona Career and Technical Teacher of the Year, 2005
- Outstanding Administrator of the Year for the Continuing Support of School Nurses, 2009
- Arizona Spotlight Award Winner, Expect More Arizona 2013
- Advanced Placement Honor Roll District, 2013, 2015
- Regional Career and Technical Education Administrator of the Year, 2014
- Arizona Ambassador Teacher of Excellence, Arizona Education Foundation, 2014
- GUHSD Parent Satisfaction was at 95% for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Postsecondary education rates for GUHSD are 81%.
- Extracurricular participation in GUHSD was at 85% in 2014-2015.
- GUHSD had a graduation rate of 87.9% during a four year period and 92.2% over five years.
- Class of 2015 earned over $61 million in scholarships.
Glendale Union High School District #205
7650 North 43rd Avenue
Glendale, Arizona 85301