In the fall of 1911, Glendale Union High School’s doors were opened for classroom operation by its first principal, superintendent and teacher, Mr. Lelan Hum. For the 1,500 to 2,000 people in this thriving agricultural community, this school, “Old Maine,” as the students later called it, was to be Glendale’s first high school.

Gathered for instruction in Dr. J.B. Hill’s storeroom were 17 students, mostly freshmen, and Mr. Hum. The classroom consisted of borrowed tables and chairs from the Dorris Heyman Furniture Company and a single blackboard. The cost for the school’s first year of operation was a mere $1,650.

As the enrollment increased the second year to fifty-eight students and a three-teacher faculty of Mr. Nolan, Miss Farewell and Principal/Superintendent Mr. Kenwall, a need for better accommodations arose. Through the combined effort of the townspeople of Glendale and board members J.W. Robinson, J.W. Etter, Dr. J.B. Hill, A.J. Straw and W.H. Slaughter, a $30,000 bond election for a new building was held and passed.

The building was erected in 1912 and dedicated on Wednesday afternoon, February 13, 1913, by Thomas Marshall, Vice President Elect of the United States. “Glendale was in gala attire for the event with a parade one mile long. All the stores in town and many of the dwellings were decorated with flags and bunting. The previous Tuesday evening a crew of men worked to barbecue two beeves in proper style for the crowd that was expected by car, by horse, and by foot.” (Condensed from the Glendale News, 2/12/13)

By the 1913-14 school year, attendance had nearly doubled, with a student enrollment of 101 and faculty members numbering six. Class began at 9:15 a.m. after a fifteen minute opening period. Three classes were held before lunch for 45 minutes each, and lunch began at noon. Four classes were after lunch with school letting out at 4 p.m.

The curriculum for the 1913-14 school year consisted of Ancient History, Medieval and Modern History, English, Latin, chemistry, geometry, algebra, bookkeeping, stenography, typewriting, Spanish, arithmetic and private and group music.

The music courses were taught by Mrs. Luther Steward. The outline on a private music course read in part as such: “Tuition is payable in advance. The school is in no way responsible for lessons lost through the absence or tardiness of pupils. In case of illness when previous notice has been given, lesson will be made up.
  • Two half-hour lessons per week, $.75 per lesson
  • One 45-minute lesson per week, $1.00
  • Pupils not enrolled for shorter than nine weeks
All students in this department are required to appear at recitals. A diploma in music is delivered at completion of a four-year course.”

Rules and regulations were set for the students concerning regular and punctual attendance. In case of an absence or tardiness, a note explaining such from the parent or guardian was required. A pupil who had been tardy three times in one month or had been marked truant was to be readmitted to his room only on application to the superintendent (principal) who also had the choice of suspending the pupil if he though it advisable.

Eight additional rules and regulations dealt with punishments for such things as doing damage to the school grounds, use of profanity, use of tobacco, disobedience, and non-compliance with the rules governing assignments.

The high school Board of Education and faculty requested the cooperation of parents, guardians and pupils in securing at least three hours daily home study. The school authorities felt this study time was necessary and essential to understand the subject matter properly.

There was a “Roll of Honor” which was awarded all students who attended the school each day and were neither tardy nor absent during the year. Punctuality was of utmost importance. A student who was below average in intelligence but punctual could usually pass to the next grade at the completion of the year. On the other hand, a student who was not on time and above average in ability often failed.

The next year, 1914-15, Benjamin Scudder was superintendent. A few new names were added to the faculty, though the number of teachers remained at six. Student enrollment began leveling off, hitting 103 that year.

With Mr. Scudder serving again as superintendent for the 1915-16 year and an attendance of 114, the boys won the valley championship in baseball in the spring, and the girls won the basketball championship, which remained with them through the next season. In addition to the required reading, writing, arithmetic and Latin, the classes in these first years dealt mainly with agriculture, farming and industrial courses for the males and domestic science, dressmaking and homemaking for the females.

Construction and expansion of the school took place over long intervals of time. The “Maine” building, built in 1912 on the second site, was the only building until 1919 when a manual training building was built. Growth took place again in 1922 when buildings 9, 10 and 11 were added to the “Maine” with a boiler room to the north. Later on in that same year a banquet hall was constructed. Then, a seventeen-year period passed before, in 1939, a new gym and auditorium were built. The last recorded growth before the March 10, 1961 bond election, which granted $2,900,000 for expansion and destruction of the original “Maine,” was in 1946 when the football stadium and field were built.

By 1930, sixteen teachers served Glendale and Mr. C.A. Yeoman became superintendent, succeeding C.A. McKee and Duncan McRuer. The first school bus was purchased in 1931 and three others added by 1936 to accommodate the growing number of students.